Sunday, March 3, 2013

Changed my Mind


I have always thought attending school and getting a degree would bring a stable income into a person’s life. I have come to the conclusion that now at this point in our country this in not happening anymore. Many people have attended Universities and have graduated and have not been able to find a job for what they went to school for due to the economy. I have recently changed my mind about how degrees now don’t get you into your dream job most of the time is by having the experience or by knowing someone who  already has been there and hooking  you up with a position. I recently met a person who went to school and now has a big school loan and was working in a bank as a teller. That person was getting paid the same thing as a friend who didn’t have a degree and who had just been a part time teller at a bank and their salary was the same. I also believe that company rather hire someone who doesn’t have the degree to pay them less than a person who went to school, and that is also due to the economy in our country. Many big companies are also suffering from the income and have to find a way to benefit their companies as well. I am not against college, but sometimes I do ask myself what if all this time and money that I am investing doesn’t make a difference in my life due to how our country has changed and I think is going to continue to change. I hope this changes back to normal soon because I do want to encourage my kids to attend college for a better life, but if it doesn’t I will feel guilty by telling them that a degree gives you better opportunities when in reality the real world is not focusing on education.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this one, I had a friend who has her Bachelors and she had the hardest time getting a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you sometimes i think "if all this time and money that I am investing doesn’t make a difference in my life due to how our country has changed" i make myself the same question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get your point of view. I really hope things shape up and change in our country because it sucks to see how much people with degrees take so long to find a job after they graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! Most companies these days will just go with the cheaper hiring option, I can relate to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a bit insightful and confusing. But I get the message you are trying put across. However, obtaining a higher degree is still much better than not being knowledgeable and working at a close to minimum wage job. The way I see it, if you're hungry for it and ready to fight for it, then it will inevitably happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. now days a degree only means that you were able to finish something...not a very good thing to know when your trying to finish yours. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally agree with you, my cousin was the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally agree with you. good essay!

    ReplyDelete