Monday, January 28, 2013

Fast Food

While growing up I was raised in a Hispanic family in where my mom would cook every day of the week. I remember when I was younger I would always wait for Sunday to come so after church we could go out to eat. My parents had four kids it must have had been expensive to go out too often that they decided we would do it once or twice every month. Eating out was never a part of neither my family’s life nor mine until I became a teenager. Every time during lunch during my high school years I would find it easy to drive to McDonalds and have a burger with a shake.  I would go out almost every day during my senior year. I didn’t think of it as anything bad, it was just a way to get out of school for a bit and get together with friends. We would go anywhere from taco bell to Carls Jr, subway jack in the box and Wendy’s.  My mom would always get mad at me for wasting money out in fast food restaurants, but eating inside the cafeteria the food was nasty and it was bad as fast food so I wouldn’t mind spending but knowing the taste was better.

                Now I could actually say that I don’t enjoy eating out. I miss my mom’s cooking and every time I go out to visit her all I ask is for her to make me a dish of anything that she wants. I am trying to change my eating habits but for me sometimes is hard. I don’t have time to cook and I really don’t know how to cook that well. When I have time I have to call my mom for some ideas.  The only reason I go to fast food restaurants is because that is my only option after a long day of work and before entering class at 7:00 pm. I sometimes run out of ideas to eat because I’ve had it all and I just eat it to calm my hunger.  I have finally made the decision of waking up a few minutes early to prepare lunch for work and for after work and have followed some people on the web to get ideas for fast and healthy recipes and it has helped. I am older now and need to take care of my body now because maybe in 5 years it will be too late.

7 comments:

  1. I had the sameee problem in high school

    ReplyDelete
  2. The early part of your fast food experience sounds similar too mine. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that once you move out of your house you will always miss mom's home cooking. Fast food does keep you full, but a home cooked meal is so much more tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my moms cooking so much too. I hate cooking but I'm forced to since I don't have the money to eat out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moms cooking is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosie,

    I too miss the days when my mom cooked for me every night and; for awhile, filled that void with fast food. These days I am attempting to cook at home as often as possible but I just cannot find the time with full-time work and school. I should just make a sandwich before work like you are doing but I am way too lazy ha.

    ,Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents had four kids as well... and it sure was expensive to go out and eat. I too find myself eating out sometimes because like you said is the only option, we seem to be running from one place to another, from work to school that there is actually no time to be cooking something fresh. But, just keep up with your decision of waking up a little bit earlier and prepare lunch. There's nothing better than eating a homemade lunch.

    ReplyDelete